The Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) was originally chartered in 1727 and today it is a member of the Royal Bank of Scotland Group which includes Ulster Bank and NatWest. RBS Merchant Services are provided by WorldPay Streamline. Streamline is Europe’s largest acquirer and, as a major innovator in the field, the company with the most experience in online payments.
In terms of merchant accounts, RBS like the other main high street banks is risk averse, and will only respond favourably to applications from low risk merchants with a good trading history.
|RBS Merchant Services Review||Rating|
|Ease of Use|
|Help & Support|
|Reviewed by Expert Market:||12/06/2015|
Products and Features
Royal Bank of Scotland merchant services are provided in partnership with WorldPay Streamline. Streamline is a division of WorldPay, which itself is the largest acquirer in Europe.
|CP Payments||A full range of payment terminals (PDQ machines) are available to rent. All major cards can be processed.|
|MOTO Payments||Payments taken via a virtual terminal or a PDQ machine.|
|Online Payments||Processed through the Streamline Payment Gateway. Hosted and fully integrated solutions are available.|
Face to Face Payments
For face to face payment, Streamline provides a wide range of payment terminals including:
- Counter top PDQ machines which include contactless payments
- Portable Bluetooth PDQ machines with a range of up to 100 metres
- Mobile PDQ machines that connect using GPRS and a roaming SIM for taking payments on the go
These are produced by the major payment terminal manufacturers such as Ingenico and are available on a rental basis.
Mail order and telephone order (MOTO) payments can be processes using one of Streamline’s payment terminals or on a virtual terminal. The Streamline virtual terminal is highly secure and can be provided on a standalone basis or in conjunction with other payment solutions.
You can take payments anywhere you can obtain an internet connection, so you are able to accept payments on the go through your tablet or your smartphone. Full reporting is available and you can access your account 24/7.
Online payments to you RBS merchant account are processes through the Streamline Payment Gateway. Features of the Payment Gateway include:
- All major credit and debit card payments can be processed
- Your customers can purchase in their own currency and your funds are settled in GBP.
- Streamline provides you with an internet merchant account (IMA)
- Detailed transaction reports provide business insights
- Fraud prevention software is available
- Recurring payments and subscriptions can be processed
- Easy to implement with no technical knowledge needed
RBS Streamline provide two ways in which to accept payment:
- A hosted payment page provides the simplest solution. Your customers are transferred there when they checkout from your shopping cart. There is the option to customise the payment page using your own branding.
- An integrated payment page that avoids sending your customers off-site at the most critical point in the purchase process. This provides an enhanced customer check-out experience and improves customer satisfaction. To use this you must be PCI DSS accredited.
Additional merchant services
Additional services provided by Streamline include provisioning PCI Compliance certification; enhanced anti-fraud protection; product installation and staff training.
RBS Streamline merchant services have a good reputation and are considered to offer affordable payment solutions and excellent levels of customer support. They provide a complete range of payment processing solutions including face to face (customer present or CP), and customer not present (CNP) including MOTO (mail and telephone order) and online.
As pricing is provided on an individual basis, it isn’t possible to provide an overall comparison with similar providers, however if you have a RBS merchant account and reasonable turnover you will be viewed as a low risk merchant and you will be in a good position to negotiate lower payment processing charges.
RBS Streamline Merchant Services provide several benefits and can be a good choice for the right business and it should be possible to negotiate reasonable rates; however there are many similar providers who might be willing to offer you a better deal. To discover more, compete our web form and several alternative providers will contact you directly with quotes tailored to meet your specific business needs.